Thursday, August 4, 2011

Say Vandalay!

One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes involves George trying to hang on to his unemployment benefits by making up names of employers he’s contacted. One in particular, as you probably know, is "Vandalay Industries" where he’s claiming to be applying for a position as a Latex Salesman.

I can’t help but think about this scene every time I log into my unemployment benefits page. Ever been on unemployment? You can get up to 30% of your salary for 6 months, but you have to be seeking full-time employment and you have to contact 4 employers a week. Not a big deal…and I actually feel fortunate that I’m getting what I’m getting considering my husband has a job (although I still have yet to receive my first payment). I can’t imagine the stress a family would feel if they lost their main/sole income.

In self-pity, I just need to say that July was one of the most emotional months I’ve experienced. I probably shed more tears in a period of a few weeks than I did in all of 2010. Most of it was stress and job related. But some of it was just life too—it’s interesting how much stress from one area of your life can impact every other part.

As with other trials in the past, I've felt myself asking “what am I supposed to do now?”  Being let go from the place where I’ve spent the majority of my career, and where I’ve made many dear and long-term friends, is rough. I can’t believe how much of blessing it has been though--in fact, I'm glad it has happened.

I got to spend 3 days bumming around at Bear Lake with my kids in the middle of the work week. I’ve slept in past 8:00am most days and got a laugh when Brookie rolls out of bed at 10:00am. We’ve swam in the back yard, gone to the playground, had our first trip to Cowabunga Bay and spent countless hours watching our favorite shows and movies. Jackson turned three years old in the midst of all this too!




He's such a big boy now (more on that later).

We will see what the next few weeks/months bring in terms of staying home, new jobs or career changes. I've been contacted by a couple of people about different positions…but I’m not going to settle. I know it will all work out and Ty and I are confident/faithful that it will. So for now, I'm focusing my energy on the little, fun, random moments like these:









Jackson took these photos all by himself. He's quite the cameraman these days.






Here’s to a great summer (at least, what’s left of it).

Love,
Jill

5 comments:

Fayone said...

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your job. This economy stinks! I hope that everything works out well for you.

Lacey Curtis said...

Jill I too love that episode of Seinfeld :) Sooo funny! Sorry the last month has been rough for you but I am certain God is mindful of you and is working things our in your favor, even if it isn't clear right now. So glad you have been able to enjoy the last few lazy days of summer with your cute kiddos! Love ya!

Unknown said...

I am sorry about your job too, but I have to say I have enjoyed having a little more time with you and your kids. Because I really think Jackson is hilarious and Brooke is so sweet. I had fun at Bear Lake and at Cowabunga Bay. I hope those kiddos are warming up to me a little. Good luck on your job search!

bernie said...

Love your pictures! Your family is so darling. Sorry to hear about the job. But if you look on the positive side, you have gotten to spend some very valuable time with your kiddos. Good luck on the job search. Ryan and Amberlee are both looking as well so we understand your frustrations. Good luck!

JENNIFER said...

Sorry about your job, Jill, but it is just a job. Your kids are growing so fast, so enjoy this time you have with them this summer. Things always have a way of working out. When you look back, it won't be that big a deal about your job, but your memories with your kiddos will last a a lifetime!